Friday, April 28, 2006

Ticket to 'The Land of the Free', please!

Here is the problem:
I am now 50 years old now and for the past 30 years I have always wanted to go to the U.S.A. and to New York in particular.
Air fares have come down, package deals abound and via the internet I am sure one could book the whole shikh kebab online without ever having to leave your chair.
So why – oh why have I not managed in all of that time to go and visit this great country?? It’s a complete mystery to me and there seems to be no logic in it. Sure, finances do come in to it somewhere and at the moment I am not entirely flushed with funds but if I don’t do this soon, I will be too old and decrepit to do so.
The ‘Precious’ is in no hurry to go to New York, as she prefers places like New Zealand and the open countryside but I still can’t shake off that feeling that there is nothing quite like the Big Apple, even though I have no means to back this theory up.
Strangely we don’t ever think twice throwing heaps of money after anything our kids want to do or buy and yet we always find good reasons why we shouldn’t do this thing for us.
As you can imagine, after so many years I am beginning to wonder whether I am destined not to make it across the ocean.

If any of you readers (especially the ones from the U.S.) have any words of encouragement or any suggestions, please leave me a note!

No comments: