Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Life is short, so pace yourself!

Advances in technology have not always been of benefit to the majority of people but have often contributed to widening the gap of interaction between us human beings. Play Stations are a good example. No need to get together with your friends and go for a bike ride (leave alone acquiring the skills to mend a puncture!!) but instead you just sit in front of the box as boss of your own artificial reality.
This week however I have come across two examples where technology advances have indeed been very useful.
My Mum had trouble with irregular heart beat and had a pacemaker fitted. Only a short while ago this would have been a serious operation but now this has become a (and I can hardly believe that this word is appropriate) routine keyhole surgery and she will be ready to go home day after tomorrow. Amazing!!
Secondly – after my root canal surgery (see previous posts below) I have now had my tooth re-filled and re-sealed. In years gone by this whole thing would have ended with me being minus one molar!
Funnily enough I was only thinking a short while ago about the fact that my parents are now really getting on a bit and how lost one would be without the other should something happen to one of them. After all, they have spent over 50 years together and are very settled as one unit. As they are not living in this country I can only hope that my brother and sister will be at hand but I really do not like thinking about it.Well, we will go and see them in August and hopefully be able to enjoy a few days together.
Life, huh . . . . what a strange concept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant