Tuesday, April 04, 2006

And so it starts . .


I was awoken this morning by my mobile phone vibrating furiously on the wooden chest of drawers thus killing my dream of winning it big on the National Lottery. Telling my wife about this and before I could even figure out what day of the week it is, she chastised me for not being able to recall what 6 numbers I had on my dreamy lottery ticket. Looking in the full-length mirror whilst shaving I was graphically reminded of just why I had decided to lose weight. Looking like Jabba-the-hut and sporting 2 double-chins I couldn’t help but wonder if I would ever manage to lose enough pounds to be able to wear a T-shirt without having to painfully hold my stomach in. Don’t get me wrong, I am not overly interested in what other people say about my shape but it has now come to the point where I myself don’t like it.
All diets are pretty much rubbish and my resolve is to spend the next 3 months eating more fish, salads and fruits and stay away from the fatty foods, the mayonnaise and the beers. This is much easier said than done, as friends, family and colleagues keep inviting for meals. I must however try otherwise I fear that the firefly will ditch into the angry waters (see heading) due to exhaustion.
The schools have closed their doors for the Easter period and my journey to work has been cut in half by the lack of spotty teenagers in rusty Ford Fiestas and obliging Mums in their fat 4x4s on their daily school run. As I drive along it still doesn’t quite feel like April as all the trees are still bare. All trees except one! It’s as if all the other trees are laughing at it, saying: ‘Hahar, look at George!! Oi, George, put your costume away! It is still winter! It was only an April-fool’s joke!’ Even the daffodils are still reluctant to show too much bloom – probably sensing that the good old British weather might still snow on them if they dare to fully expose themselves.
As I approach Aylesbury I am struck by the realisation that this town looks ugly and depressing even in the most glorious sunshine and that my newly washed, gleaming car doesn’t really belong here.
I have promised myself not to write too much about work whilst I still have a relatively full head of hair so instead we pan straight forward to the late afternoon and another visit to the private dentist. This time only for a check-up and a polish. He congratulates me on my much improved gums and the fact that all my teeth are now in very good order. So they should be, having just spent the best part of £1000 to get them to this stage!!! He advises me that I should nevertheless visit the hygienist in a month’s time and, (by way of encouragement??), sends me on my way without charging me for the polish. I have to say that, having been a real dento-phobe, I am quite proud of myself for having organised and actually gone through with all the treatment of the past few months. I have learned how important proper dental hygiene really is because if you neglect it, your gums and even your bone will be eaten away by bacteria and then you are properly screwed!! Period!!!
The evening meal of Salmon with herbs & lime and salad is delicious and I have a hard time sticking to just one helping.

Time for the daily slimming day recount:
Food/Drink:
2 teas, 2 coffees, 1 juice, 3 plums, 1 orange, some nuts, 1 salmon fillet, 1 slice of bread (naughty, naughty!!) and lettuce.
Exercise:
2 x walking the dog, 1 x washing up

The television program is about people who cannot help stuttering and I think about how fortunate I am to have none of those problems. Time to switch off!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you listed washing up as an exercise!!

If this was the case I'd be a size 8 and I'm blooming well not!!!

Debs !