Thursday, April 27, 2006

I think I'd better call 'Ghost-busters'!!

I got an email from one of my old colleagues at my Grammar School recently, inviting me to meet up with everyone for a reunion of A-Level students from 30 years ago. It did make me wonder what might have happened in all those years to all those friends of my youth, like Andreas (below).


Are they still alive? Are they happy? Are they anything like I remember them? Possibly the first two questions might be answered with ‘Yes’ but if my reflection in the mirror is anything to go by, the last answer would be ‘No’.
What, I thought to myself, is anyone expecting to find at a reunion of a bunch of now 50+ aged people who last met when they were not even 20 years old???
Would we have anything in common? Surely not! Even our memories of that time at school together would be different. What if you went and did not recognise anyone and nobody recognises you? Pretend? Make meaningless, polite conversation? Not me, I am afraid to say! I did not make many friends at that time anyway and there is no guarantee that any of them will show up. In fact, it would probably spoil the few happy memories one might have from certain people from the past and even if you would meet an old friend and re-kindle the friendship, what would you then do? Meet up on a regular basis? And in my case what about the girls I dated and consequently dumped like rotten fruit?? Would they still want to kill me?

(Me at 17 looking like Starsky)

I think the past is best left in the past and I have no taste for complicating my life unnecessarily by introducing ghosts to it!
If there was a website with these people’s life stories on it, I wouldn’t mind having a peek and a laugh but meeting them?? Not this fool!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I know what you're talking about here. I missed my most recent high school reunion...but I was at an event in my hometown about a year ago that several people I graduated with happened to be at as well. With some people, it was a great time. With others, it was REALLY awkward.