Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Is this the Way to Amarillo??

After a very, very nice man stole my Sat Nav system last December by smashing my side window and showering the inside of my car with glass, I decided that I would make do with the good old trusted maps from now on.
Alas, she who must be obeyed (my wife) had other ideas and insisted that a new Sat Nav would help daughter No.2 (who is new to driving) find her way around these blessed Isles!
So here in all its beauty is the new device.



In other news:
An 84 year-old woman has been killed and eight other people seriously hurt in a train crash in Cumbria, northern England. The investigation is concentrating on a set of points the 1715 GMT London to Glasgow train passed over just before derailing.

The boss of Network Rail has apologised unreservedly after it became apparent that nuts & bolts were missing and shoddy workmanship was to blame for this incident!

Well, that makes it all fair and square then!!
The fact that the same thing has happened before in London at Potters Bar in 2002 with the loss of 7 lives is neither here nor there I guess.
After that accident in 2002 an investigation made recommendations so that 'this sort of thing would never happen again!'
Yeah, right!! That worked!!

Perdita Kark, whose father Austen died at Potters Bar, told the BBC's World Tonight programme that "it would appear a very, very similar thing has happened in Cumbria".
"Obviously no lesson has been learnt by anybody at all," she added.
"It's just a disgrace and it makes me feel sick."
The (RAIB) report also found evidence that the last scheduled visual inspection of the track on February 18 by the company responsible for the track, Network Rail (NR), did not take place.
Rail safety expert Peter Rayner said the Cumbria derailment looked like a re-run of the 2002 crash.




So, next time you think of using a metal tube to propel yourself to your destination at 95 mph, you better make sure it isn't in this country!
So, . . .what's next??
Oh, I know!!!
Pay rises all round!!

8 comments:

Beccy said...

Cool sat nav, we used one in the UK, my mum had for work last summer, needless to say we didn't follow it's directions as it would have got us lost!

I can't believe another crash happened due to faulty points, do they never learn. It would make me think twice before travelling on a train.

The very nice man said...

Thanks for commenting so quickly and frequently on my blog, Beccy - you are a star!
It is always nice to know that people are actually reading it!
Bless you for your big heart!!

Anonymous said...

Every time I get stopped by a train and have to sit and watch it rumble by - I think about this kind of stuff and keep my fingers crossed that the train won't derail my way.

Hey - that would be a good Post Secret card, don't you think?

Tonya said...

cool navigator!! OMG @ the train crash.. I didn't even hear about that... well I guess avoiding the news would work!

Anonymous said...

That's terrible about the train crash.

Whenever I'm stopped at a train crossing, I want to stay ffaaaarrrr back, just in case of derailment. It's always in the back of my mind.

I do need one of those nav systems. I am highly skilled at getting lost and not knowing which direction I'm heading in. Sorry to hear yours was stolen, argh!

ChrisB said...

beccy has already commented on the Tom Tom sat nav I used to have for work. Did you notice a box under the desk on my fun mon post well that's hubby's sat nav, do we use-if I mention this fact not often I'm told it's there just in case. That must be some sort of male logic!! so you're out and suddenly cant find a road and sat nav is at home- yes this has happened.

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear very nice man. I'm going to use a metal tube to propel me halfway across the world (plane variety, not train variety). I'm already shaking in my boots.

Leann said...

this kind of thing chaps my hide to.but what can you do?pray that the people working on things like this will be more carefull of their work.

Or pray that everyone is ready to meet their maker.no one knows when its our time. life is so short.we live in a emperfect world and it seems to get worse all the time.

all we christains can do is reinforce the Lords victory against the enemy.so more like this stuff will stop.we stand in the gap for the ones we pray for.its our prayers who ask God to intervien.God bless friend.

Please say a prayer for Lloyed he is going through a hard time.
I left a comment for you on my fun monday post.