Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas Cheer - for the first Year

I might have been ill and I might have given the flu to my wife (sharing, caring person that I am) but this year, unlike any other year, I am embracing Christmas like never before.
The food has been ordered, the drinks are well chilled, the guests are invited (all 16 of them) and here I am starting to put decorations and lights up. As you can see , Victoria is just sitting there in absolute disbelief as she has never seen anything like this.

I used to be very "Bah Humbug" which has only slowly changed over the years.
I did not care much for Christmas due to my experiences of that time in my youth back in Germany being one of mixed emotions.
To my mind, Christmas should have been a time for much joy; a time of laughter, sharing and relaxation. Things were however too regimented with too many ‘rules’ and set-ups.
Let me give you some examples:

Weeks before Christmas we were tasked with learning some Christmas poem which we would have to recite for our parents and grand-parents on Christmas Eve. I have never had any leanings towards poems, nor could I remember such things easily. It was a chore I did not relish and I resented the fact that I had to do this before any presents could be received.
It built in me a great reluctance of receiving presents and for many years I would have preferred not getting any.
The day before Christmas the lounge was locked up and declared a “no-go zone”, as my parents would use this room to decorate the tree without us seeing it. According to them, it was “Father Christmas” who brought the tree, decorated it and left presents as well.

In Germany, the handing out of presents (and all the other things) takes place on Christmas Eve. The usual day would go like this:
After arguing most of the morning about the question why we had to learn a stupid poem, I then had to join my father in an afternoon nap, which I did not want to do.
When we finally got up I argued the case of not having to take a walk (“Let’s see if we can meet Father Christmas”) as even as a small child I had cottoned on to the fact that every time we arrived back home we had “juuuust missed Him!” and when I was older and did not believe in Father Christmas any longer – what exactly was the point???!!
Next on the list of arguments was my parents insistence of having to get changed into our ‘Sunday Best’ clothes, which considering the fact that only ‘family’ was assembled seemed to be utterly unnecessary and pointless, since the moment the presents had been distributed we run upstairs to get changed back into comfortable attire. I cannot remember one Christmas when my Dad and I did not fall out over these things.
We then would sit around in the kitchen whilst my Dad would light the (natural) candles on the tree without setting the house on fire. A bell (how annoying is this?!) heralded the permission for my grandparents, my mother, brother, sister and me to enter the living-room and admire the tree. Then came the awkward “stand in front of the tree and recite your poem” time.
First off was my sister, then me, then my brother.
Most of my efforts went into selecting the shortest possible poem acceptable to my parents but even these presented a big hurdle to a young person harbouring a very negative attitude to Christmas, lazy to learn and hating to be pushed into any lime-light.

The presents were handed out and apart from a meal together, that was Christmas!
Christmas day and Boxing Day were total non-events!
This procedure did work fine when we were small kids but became utter nonsense by the time we got to the age of 12. Unfortunately, having a younger brother dragged this out until he was 12, by which time I was 17!
I guess my parents got the hint that year, when my ‘closely guarded’ poem for that year went like this:
Weihnacht ist heut
Wie mich das freut,
Ich wünsche das Beste
zum fröhlichen Feste!

Loosely translated meaning:
It’s Christmas today,
How this pleases me,
I wish the best
On this happy occasion!

My father was not overly pleased, judging on the expression on his face but not wanting to kick-start another argument in front of my Grand-parents, mumbled something about lack of effort and telegram style (i.e. veeery short!).

In my heart I had determined that this was going to be the last time I would participate in this charade, since I would be 18 the following year and therefore ‘of age!’ and so it indeed was.

So you see that humming Christmas songs and decorating the house must have been a complete shock to my poor family :-)

11 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

And a very Merry Christmas to you and your, Erik.

I'm glad one of us in the proper spirit!

Tonya said...

the picture is great and glad to hear you are in the christmas spirit.. now I wish I could get in the spirit of things :) I can see why you would not be into it over the years with those childhood experiences.. Don't think I would like it much myself but glad you are getting back into it.. now you can do it your way :)

Anvilcloud said...

And how do you do things now?

Kila said...

So I guess it's a good thing my family came to the USA--our Christmases here are much more fun. Sorry yours weren't more enjoyable.

We did always do a LOT of memorizing for the children's Christmas program at church (we worked on it for a full month each year; I could recite Luke chapter 2 vs. 1-20 right now), but it was still fun. After doing two services at church Christmas Eve we would gather at my grandparents house with other family members to eat and open presents, etc. The next day, Christmas Day, we would open presents at home, then go to the other set of grandparents for the day. Was fun.

No mention of "Father Christmas" here, just "Santa Claus" coming during the night on Christmas Eve to bring our presents.

I'm very glad to hear that you are enjoying Christmas this year!

Merritt Fields said...

A regimented Christmas? No way! I don't know if there is anything I insist upon, except that you can't open presents until Christmas Day.

Glad you're in the spirit now (with no more poems).

Thanks for the offer of help with my banner. Stop by and check out what I've done and see what you think!!

Leann said...

O yes the joys of christmas with out the real meaning!!O how I know it well.the sound of jingle bells out in the night time by my father trying to make me believe in the big guy in the red suit.the noise of rain deer hoves on the roof near my room.the Ho Ho HO in a deep voice in the living room late at night.all the gifts coming out of corners and hiding places when us kids were asleep.I believed for a short time.but they messed up noknowing they had a budding investagater in their mets.I checked it out.I went to the window and saw my Dad.I also peeked down the vent in the floor at the sound of the voice.and looked in hiding places.and found prayers worked christmas lists to santa didn,t.I let my kids believe for a while to please my mom.but then when I was about 25 or so I told them what christmas really was.Jesus and his birthday.they pretty much said what I said when I found out the truth."why did you lie to me,don,t you say its not right to lie?"and that was the end of the big man in the red suit.that is tell they had kids.it pretty much tells you we all lie even when we know we shouldn,t.thank God they didn,t think Jesus was a big lie too.thanks for sharing your chrisymas past with us.God bless you and yours,and merry christmas.

Anonymous said...

I received your card! Thank you very much, and Merry Christmas! Your decorating is lovely... I am a bit of a Scrooge myself and have a teeny tiny tree about the size of yours and that is all. I only have the tree because someone gave it to me.

I keep thinking.. maybe this will be the year that I will enjoy Christmas! Never happens and my Visa bill is scary in January.

At least the drinks are forthcoming!

mreddie said...

Sounds like you are breaking the bonds of the past and reveling in the season - good for you. Sometimes it is sad the effect we parents have on our kids - even if we don't mean to do it. ec

Janet said...

I have a tendancy to REALLY get the blues around Christmas. I'm fighting hard this year, and I'm not sure what the eventual outcome will be. But you're giving me hope.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Janet

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Christmas Living Room. Oh I wish mine looked like that right now! Stop over at my place and look at the box mess that will soon be my kitchen.

little things said...

Well well, that is certainly the most unique Christmas story I've ever heard! Bet you have tons of fun at Christmas in your own house now!