Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Angel Story (by popular demand)

When I was least expecting it (and not looking for it) the Lord in his grace found me and turned my life around. This is a whole different story though but suffice it to say that everybody who knew me, including my wife, noticed that something significant had happened in my life which changed me from hating people to have a real passion for people amongst other things.
My wife had always believed in God and went to a church in our home town (which I refused to go to!) but had never really had a personal encounter with Him.
As it happened, the church I started attending was in the town where I worked, some 30 miles away.
I kept talking to my wife about the goodness of God and the need to meet with Jesus Christ personally as I felt that this was what God asked me to do.
This was the start of a six months disagreement between us with my wife defending quite understandably her position (You didn’t want to come to church with me and now you ask me to travel 30 miles each time! You suddenly think you have the inside track on things, etc.) and me trying to make her understand mine.
This really sucked the strength out of our relationship and one day when I was feeling particularly low I shared this with some people during one of those church meetings.
I am really worried that my wife will never get to know the Lord in a real personal way” I said and we just prayed that God will send me a clear sign that she would be alright!
That night we went to sleep (still locked in disharmony) and - as I told you in my previous post - I sleep like a baby and never wake up in the middle of the night.
That night however I was awaken by the room being flooded with bright, white light which was so strong that it hurt my eyes.
As I slowly came round and my eyes started to adjust, there was an Angel standing at the foot of our bed. He had the statue of a man about 6’4” (that’s about 2 meters) and the light coming from it was so white that you could not see his face or clothes. It was like a reverse silouette (so instead of seeing a dark figure in front of a bright light, I saw a white figure in front of darkness).
I nearly crapped myself and stood up (yes, stood up) in bed when the angel spoke to me in an audible voice: “There is no need to worry any more, Erik! Your wife is going to be fine!
With those words the angel vanished and an amazing peace flooded my very being.
My wife, awoken by the commotion, turned around and seeing me standing in bed said: “What on earth is the matter??!!
I was totally stunned and could only repeat: “Hey!! You are going to be OK!!
Of course I’m OK” she replied, not really understanding what I was on about as she turned back over and went back to sleep.
I, too, got back under the covers and fell into a wonderfully peaceful sleep.
The next morning I woke up and everything seemed to be back to normal with two exceptions.
1.) I knew that what happened had been real and not a dream!
2.) I stopped arguing with my wife as there was no need to worry anymore! She was going to be fine!
Our relationship improved and a short time afterwards the Lord touched her in a very deep and personal way and she was ‘born again’.
This was about 10 years ago and we haven’t looked back since.
This, in essence, is my story about when I was privileged enough to be visited by an angel of the Lord.

15 comments:

Victoria said...

Hey Dad, you've told me this story before and yet it still inspires the same awe and wonderment. It makes me feel ashamed of ever having doubted the existence of the Lord, ever! And, of course, it adds strength to my conviction that - for me - starting to attend Church again after all these years, is the right thing to do.

You know when we went to AVCC for that reunion thing? I started crying uncontrollably when those children came to the front and started singing. I thought, "Look at these children, so unashamedly proclaiming their faith. Where have I BEEN all these years? What have I done to nurture my FAITH?" I felt that God was saying to me, "Come, Victoria, I am merciful. Forget the past and start nurturing here and now."

I love you Dad. Always remember that. And remember that God is with you.

x x x

The very nice man said...

Victoria -
What a beautiful comment from you on this (for me very disturbing) day.
God is indeed merciful and as one of the people who knows me best, you just know that without His mercy I would be 'toast'!
Where have you BEEN all these years??
I tell you where! Safely in His loving arms as He carries you patiently through your fears, your disappointments and your illness!
You are His child and nothing is ever going to change this fact!
Oh, Yes, and . . he put Mum and me in place to be by your side!
Great, huh?!!!
Dad xx

Victoria said...

Hi Dad, thanks for your reply!

Yes, so you just make sure that I receive the maximum number of hugs possible, or else!

Love from Me x x x x
Post Scriptum: "Aaa-haaa!" *I need a hug!*

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful story and I am glad it turned out so well. I can see why she would be angry at first. That was a good argument. I think often we push and don't let Jesus handle enough even though we don't mean too...you were just worried for her.

I wish I would have a very personal encounter with Jesus again. I was saved as a child at 9 and then rededicated my life at 32. Sadly I don't have a church anymore...I married and moved and have encountered so many churches that split or had political problems that I don't go. I miss worship service and I try to worship alone but there is so much I would like to learn about the Bible that you just can't without guidance.
Anyway...sorry to babble....I just wish Jesus could sometimes council me in person and answer questions but I guess we would all love that! Mainly I just would love a reassurance in this world that keeps making him seem so far away and wants to take him away from us. I am a very liberal Christian....I believe more in the message than the political fighting going on in church and state. I believe in others rights to make their own choices and religions.....that said I hate the way so many people just don't really truly believe in Jesus anymore. And I don't want anyone to shake my beliefs in heaven or hell or salvation.....

The very nice man said...

Deana -
You are not alone in your dismay about churches and political in-fighting. There are few churches left who just stand on the word and preach Jesus without getting their own agenda items mixed in with it. Things seem to become "flavour of the month" only to be overturned by the next "flavour of the month". I call it "spiritual flu" which everyone belonging to a church needs to catch or else you are "back-slidden!!" Ooohh!!
Crazy! And yet Jesus has always put everything simple and straight forward.
Well, I cannot offer you worship in the singing sense (believe me, you wouldn't want me to sing!) but if you email me (click on 'View my complete profile' and then click the 'email' tab) then I will be happy to fellowship with you in writing!
:-) Thanks for visiting my blog!
Erik

Desert Songbird said...

Beautiful story, Erik.

I've posted my 100th post, and, at your suggestion, it is on the subject you requested!

Be sure to stop by.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love testimony!!

You have inspired me to write my own testimony. Well.. one of them anyway. =)

Kila said...

Wow, that's quite a wake up call! I guess He really wanted to get your attention!

No similarly shocking story here to share. I grew up in a Christian home and have been a wholehearted believer from day one, and have been blessed with great churches to attend and wonderful Christian friends. Hmm, now that I type that, I realize how lucky I've been.

mreddie said...

Awesome story and testimony - thanks for sharing. ec

Leann said...

love the testimony.God is so good.he loves his kids and will show them so they know.I have 37 years of testimony.the Lord says it will be in my book.and in fact I keep a journal.so its being witten as I journal.I remember the frist time I heard the Lord speak to me.it was when my husbands aunt rose was dieing in the hospital.I was walking down the steps at my mother in laws place.and the Lord stopped me and said "tell them rose will not die."I ran and told her sister,and she looked at me like I was some kind of nut.{I had only been born again for a short time.and she wasn,t}so I stood on the promise for her.rose lived and got out of the hospital.she was weak and very skinnie.she came to visit and was sitting at her sisters table.I went up to lay my little girl down to sleep.and as I came down the steps the Lord said tell rose she will walk by herself before christmas.I ran and told her and she said how did you know I was praying that?I said the Lord told me.she walked by her self before christmas.she lived healthy 7 more years and her and most of the family were saved.I use to be afraid to tell people I hear the Lord.but now I don,t care if they think Iam weird or not.I would rather hear the Lord then the devil.and if the Lord loves me enough to trust me to tell some one something then I will do it.11 years ago this coming Jan I was in the hospital with cancer.I was so sick I asked the Lord if I was dieing.I knew I was ready to go home,but I knew the Lord had promised me some things I had not done yet.so I said Lord did I miss hear you?I need to know so I can get my family ready and bless them.in the darkness of my room I heard the Lord say."this is not unto death,but for my glory."I said tell me once more Lord and I will only believe that.so as clear as a bell He said it again"this is not unto death but for my glory".so two days later when my daughter came in crying and told me they said I had 3 weeks to live.I told her what Jesus had told me.she stopped crying and said "Iam going to believe him to!!!"alot has happened in my life,and the Lord has been there for me all the way.He is the best friend I have.thanks brother for stopping on my blog.

The very nice man said...

Leann -
You are right to ignore the fact that some people might think you are mad talking about God and spiritual things! There once was this man who proclaimed that the world was round and they called him mad too!! Not so mad now, huh!!??!

little things said...

Wow. Fabulous story. You've inspired me to write a post of my own. Be sure to visit when you return.
Safe travels!

little things said...

PS this interaction with your daughter is very touching. *tear*

Yara said...

Hi Erik,

Beautiful story thank you for sharing it with us. I'm learning not to worry about the things I can't control, God will show us the path wherever it might lead us.

-Yara

Tonya said...

What a wonderful and deep story.. Not sure how it makes me feel.. I am so happy that you are happy and have found faith in the lord :) *hugs*