Saturday, January 13, 2007

The End is in Sight

Dear friends,

I thought it is about high time to update you on my situation at work.
As you may or may not know, my company has decided to once again reorganise and in the process lose a lot of people via redundancy.

When I joined the company in 1986, there was a truly international feel to things, people were seen as the most important asset of the company, training and development opportunities were good and there was a buzz of work and excitement in every department.
This is in stark contrast to the company that exists now and I have returned home from work nearly every day in the past 3 years without ever feeling that we actually achieved anything, made any difference leave alone being appreciated.

It is therefore time to end my employ with this company, thus avoiding yet another two years of utter frustration in the hope that “things are going to be different” only to find myself back in exactly the same position we are in now.
My exit will happen anytime in February or March.

Am I bitter?
I am disappointed, since most of this could have been avoided had someone listened to the people in the first place.
I am also relieved to have finally made this decision and a burden has been lifted from my heart.
After 20 years, it is an end of an era but for me it is always better to have ‘an end with horror’ rather than ‘horror without end’. At least I have preserved my dignity and most of my sanity and health.

Well, that’s about it for now and if you need someone to do a job or know someone who does . . I might well be your (very nice) man!

18 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Erik - I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry for us. Unfortunately, this is a very real fact of life. We face these disappointments (sometimes too frequently), we mourn, and then we move on.

My best wishes to you and your family. Keep up your optimism!

Tonya said...

Erik.. I am glad you have come to terms with this and have made a decision and lifted that burden.. I hope all works out the best for you and your family!

and like songbird says.. keep up your optimism!

mreddie said...

It seems that companies never actually listen to people until things have fallen apart beyond repair. May a wonderful opportunity be just around the corner. ec

Leann said...

I had a friend named clarance who had the same thing happen.only he came home from his job on christmas brake thinging he had a job.and went back after to find a pink slip.I told him this."God cant give you a really good job unless you lose the one you have".I said is there some thing or some place you always wanted to work? he said yes at the gulf corse near my home.I said go check it out.sure enough the job was waiting for him.the same will happen to you Eric.pray and ask the Lord to show you where to now!God bless you and Ill keep you in my prayers.

Anvilcloud said...

You seem to have a very good attitude in what must be trying times for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Remember when one door closes another door opens. Often a much better door. Here's wishing you the best.

little things said...

I've never found that a good change wasn't preceded by a big one beforehand. Good luck, and I look forward to good news coming your way in the next few months.

Merritt Fields said...

Good luck with the job search. It seems that anyone would be very lucky to have you in their employ.

Tiggerlane said...

Hang in there, Erik...there will be something better on down the road. Plus, you have some time to search.

It's horribly draining to stay at that kind of job - be thankful. It will end up being a GOOD thing!

Anonymous said...

I need a mechanic. I don't think the commute would be reasonable though.
I'm telling you what you already know when I say that God has a plan and things will work out in the end.

Did you come over to my blog and join in on the post your view from your front door?? I can't remember. Don't miss out on it.

Kila said...

A huge upheaval in your life, but how reassuring to know that He already knows the outcome and has great plans for your life :)

I'll be praying for you.

Yara said...

Hi Erik,

Well, you have to do was is best for you and your family, and if this is what you want, then good for you for taking the initiative. I wish you all the best of luck.
-Yara

Anonymous said...

In 2003 I was deleted. Someone hit the delete button. Poof! No job. It was like I never existed in the first place.

It was horrible, scary, sad, heart-wrenching... it came 3 days after my grandfather passed away. The timing was the worst it could ever be.

I learned from that experience that permanence is a myth. It doesn't exist. It was the end of an era for me as well.

If I wasn't deleted, I wouldn't have been given a golden parachute ride to my new position, I wouldn't have gone back to school, I would probably be living in someones basement, wishing I'd had the foresight to do something better with my life. It turned into the best thing that ever happened to me.

I have a feeling that this will also lead to bigger and better. If you ever decide to move to Canuck-land, I'll put in a good word for you!

The very nice man said...

Hey, you nice people.
Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments and encouraging words. As you will have realised, I have been off the air for a little while just to gather my thoughts but I am good and looking forward to what's in store in the next months.
So, be blessed, my dear friends, and thanks again for taking the time to write.
Erik

Kila said...

Been thinking of you. Can't wait to see what God has planned ;)

dodo said...

hmmmm. must be the season for it. am trying not to be bitter too. except I've been there less than a year.

Anonymous said...

It takes great courage to walk away from what is known. I wish all good things for you.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you were wise to make this decision when it was still YOURS to make (doesn't make it any easier, though). Perhaps your positive attitude and forward glance, in addition to a strong faith, will carry you over the coming months.

It'll be nice when we see you on the other side of "this".