Wednesday, August 02, 2006

'I hope this hasn't put you off of flying' (Superman)

Last night son no.1 and I went to see the new Superman film at the cinema.
Can’t really say that I am a great fan of the flying man but since nobody else wanted to go with him and since he was paying I figured ‘Why not?!’.
Once we sat our way through the usual crap like adverts, films you might (or in this case) might not want to see and reminders to hurry and get yourself a coke for a gazillion Pounds Sterling (2 gazillion Dollars) the film finally started and I was wondering whether my cute behind would stand the 157 minutes this film was advertised to last.
Once it got going though I soon forgot about it and have to say that watching the visual effects and cinematography on the big screen was very nice and definitely watchable. As per usual, don’t look for any great storyline but if you go to watch a flying man this would not be your priority I guess.
Kate Bosworth as the new Lois Lane looks particularly huggable and Kevin Spacey is convincing as the baddy (even though you can’t help liking him). Brandon Routh as the new Superman is too ‘boyish’ for my liking.
Having seen the original Superman years and years ago I personally was pleased to see that some of the original ideas have been preserved (for those younger ones in the audience who weren’t even born back then) such as the music and general ‘comic book’ feel.

In summary:
Don’t go for the story – don’t go for the acting – go for the visual enjoyment.

If you want more than this, rent out Serenity!

No comments: