Monday, August 21, 2006

Why is my room moving???

Yoohoo!!! I’m baaaaaack!!
Yes, yes, yes . . I have returned to good old England and now have as much holidays left as a convicted criminal – NONE!
It was however a lovely trip with one exception, one of my picture cards has developed a fault which wiped out all pictures from Luebeck, Hamburg and nearly all pictures from Baltrum.
Having swam in the sea of depression for a while I tried to look on the bright side, i.e. I have actually been there and experienced it ‘live’ so to speak and secondly there are now much less pictures to bore you with!

Short story of the trip Part I (you can follow the route here) :
We left in good time for the drive to Harwich to catch the Dana Sirena to Esbjerg – or so we thought! We had not planned on a motorway shutdown on the opposite side, which caused a nice queue on our side due to gorram people rubber-necking to see what was going on.
Praise the Lord we did make it just in time and Jan was delighted with the Deluxe cabin I booked. Jan does not like the sea much and was not looking forward to being cooped up in a small room with a hole as a window.
The journey started well enough and Jan and I enjoyed the delightful buffet in the dining room before retiring for the night.
I was woken up at about 2 or 3 a.m. by strong rocking and shuddering as waves crashed against the side of the ship. Yup!! We had picked up some strong North-Westerly winds and because of our destination in the North East, the ship was going alongside the waves instead of cutting through them.
A bit of rough sea does not bother me much so I just went back to sleep and got up at 7 a.m. to have a shower. Big mistake! The bathroom had a high step to ensure nothing could leak out but the walk-in shower had only a small 5 centimetre surround to keep the water in. Unfortunately the rocking of the boat was so strong that I had to hold on to the safety rail with one hand whilst trying to shower with the other and every time the boat swung the other way the entire shower tray emptied into the bathroom.
Breakfast for the Deluxe passengers was served in the Commodore lounge and was a feast. Alas due to the circumstances only an old lady and I were there to enjoy it, as all other passengers were busy NOT to think of food at this time.
Jan refused to leave her bed until we got close to Esbjerg, when things had settled down.

Being the organised person I am, I had bought a special wallet to keep all important documents such as passports and tickets in. As we drove off the ship in Esbjerg I asked Jan to hand it to me, realising at the very same time that I had not given it to her at all and that I had left it on the boat! PANIC!!!
So I parked the car somewhere in the middle of the harbour and run back to the ship.
Luckily I saw a man coming down the ramp with the wallet in his hand and upon verifying my name handed it over. I am definitely losing it!!

We drove East to Odense, where we stopped for coffee and postcards before continuing to Nyborg on the Great Belt bridge. Our hotel would have been only half as good had I not insisted on a sea view room. By now it was hot and sunny again and we made use of the swimming pool, as Jan had enough of the sea.
'Jan, why is this room moving??' I asked back in our quarters.
'It isn't!' Jan replied. 'You're still feeling the motion of the ocean!' (Ooohh!)
After dinner we took some pictures and called it a day.

to be continued . . .

For a selection of photos click here
(There are 2 pages of photos. Use the Slideshow facility or click photos to enlarge)

2 comments:

Yara said...

Hey,

You probably should have just taken a shower in the sea, that way you wouldn't have made a mess in in the bathroom...:) The pictures looked great, and such a lovely cabin. I've actually never been in a cruise, and now I really want to. By the way, you have a very lovely wife, she so elegant! ^_^
Glad to have you back!

-Yara

Heather Plett said...

Hey there! Welcome back! I look forward to the continued saga. :-)