Monday, July 31, 2006

Eastern Promise

This weekend my wife and I went East to Norfolk and Suffolk for various reasons:
Firstly because it was my good mate’s 50th birthday and we just had to be there to assist in the destruction of the beer mountain.
Secondly to visit 2 charming couples whom we met on our Italy trip last year and who happen to live there and thirdly to have a look at possible sites near the sea to move to should we suddenly get the urge to do so.

The party was great and held at The Locks at Geldeston near Beccles.
This pub has a nice garden which boarders onto the Norfolk Broads and with the weather being utterly brilliant, the 80 guests just sat in the garden talking, drinking and having a great time.
My wife (having known me for 20 years now) sensed correctly that I was having the beer goggles on and that yet another pint might just be a bridge to far. Thus she ushered me into the car and removed me from the procedures. The rest is just a blur!

The 2 couples from the Italy trip welcomed us and we had a great time sharing stories, eating their food and talking about possible future holiday plans.
It was lovely seeing them again and we hope they will be able to visit us in return real soon.
Message to Dave:
I know it’s your ferkin’ computer but you’re still nuts to have all those icons on your desktop!
Message to Terry:
Thanks for the barbeque which was delicious, mate. Am I going to buy one though . . . Maybe when the Taliban gets the Nobel peace prize!

On the issue of moving, we did find a nice place we liked! It’s called Overstrand and had ticked a lot of boxes! . . . . That is until I found out that it is fast disappearing as the cliffs there are falling into the sea!
(Read this)
I don’t think my wife would like this a lot and I am not too keen on it myself! So the hunt continues.
At present the areas under consideration are:
Scotland (West Coast), Norfolk, Suffolk Coast, North Devon Coast.
The latter seems very expensive.
If any of you readers care to suggest a place in those areas or somewhere else, we would love to hear about it!

3 comments:

Janet said...

Hello!

Not sure how "intelligent" I actually am...ESPECIALLY this morning, with the jet lag hanging on so badly...but I wanted to give you a return comment on YOUR blog. Thanks for the note on Lord Celery this morning!

Since we seem to be reading each other's blogs these days, I've just added yours to my links list of favorites. Hope you don't mind!

Have a great holiday...with YOUR "Janet"!

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

Yara said...

Hey,

Seems we both had fun weekends. Isn't it great to meat up with people you meat in travels, they seemd to be the most interesting people I meet. So are you planning for a holiday home or just to move completely? Good luck in your search!

-Yara

The very nice man said...

No, I am not rich enough for a holiday home and would have to move! Eary days however and nothing much will happen on that front for some time yet! Doesn't hurt dreaming though, does it??

Nice to have you back and can't wait for the next post!!!
E.