Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dreaming of Ships, Sea and Smörgås

It seems unbelievable that I have only just returned to work and yet I will be off again this Monday on another holiday trip!
This time it will only be my wife and I who will escape, leaving everyone else to fend for themselves.
Here is the journey:



(Words in red are clickable links)
Day 1:
We will be driving down to Harwich in the afternoon and will be taking the overnight ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark

Day 2:
A short drive to Nyborg to our hotel with spectacular views over the Great Belt bridge. Visit to Svendborg for some sightseeing and dinner.

Day 3:
Drive to Copenhagen to a lovely hotel overlooking the estuary and meeting in the evening with my good friend who has been living there for some time now.

Day 4:
Copenhagen sightseeing

Day 5:
Drive to the southern tip of Denmark and ferry across into Germany.
Visit & stay overnight at my cousin’s place near Hamburg

Day 6:
Shopping spree into Hamburg

Day 7:
Drive to the North Sea and park car. Take boat over to the tiny Friesian island of Baltrum where there are no cars allowed. We used to holiday there when I was a little boy, so this will be a bit of nostalgia for me.

Day 8, 9 and 10:
Relaxing and walking on Baltrum

Day 11:
Back to the mainland and drive down to Cologne, my home town to visit my parents, brother and sister.

Day 12 and 13:
Time with my folks and Cologne shopping

Day 14:
Back through Belgium, France, through the Channel Tunnel to England

Hopefully I will be able to take some good pictures which I will set you link to on one of my posts after the event.

6 comments:

Yara said...

He,

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Can I go in you logage? *_*, never been east of Paris, always wanted to go to Easter Europe. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time, I can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories.

-Yara

Janet said...

I'm SO envious...and what a terrific description, too! NICE blog piece!

PLEASE share photos upon your return, OK?

Travel safely...

Janet
(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

Heather Plett said...

Sigh. You should have warned me it wasn't wise to open your post when I'm mourning the loss of our vacation plans this summer. :-( I'm jealous. I have a friend living in Denmark and would LOVE to visit.

The very nice man said...

Yara,
You as luggage would be fun but my wife would spear me with a medium sized pitch fork upon discovery! So . . Sorry, no go!

Janet,
I am indeed one of those snap-happy guys and my camera seldom leaves my side so pictures upon return are virtually guaranteed!

Heather,
Sorry to upset you. I will drink a couple of Tuborg (Beers) on your behalf.
Besides . . . isn’t Canada just like being on a permanent holiday??

Anonymous said...

That's one advantage (of many I'm sure) to liivng on that side of the pond. Many varied place seem to be but a stones throw away.

Anonymous said...

I'm Anvilcloud, not thengelred. I'm on a strange computer, and funny things are happening. :)