Friday, May 04, 2007

Snap-happy in Lincoln

There are far too many pretty towns and villages here in Britain and Lincoln is just one more example of this.
I had some time on my hands when my wife needed to go to her company's Lincoln office, so I tagged along and took some shots:

Lincoln - 007
Go up "Steep Hill" I was told. "It's well worth it!"

Lincoln - 008
Half way up (here looking back) I sincerely hoped so!

Lincoln - 009
More climbing needed but nice houses and little shops

Lincoln - 046
A small chapel with spring flowers

Lincoln - 010
Bailgate with its Tudor houses

Lincoln - 015
Lincoln Cathedral shot from Minster Yard . .

Lincoln - 023
. . and from Pottergate.

Lincoln - 019
From the side it could almost pass as York Minster

Lincoln - 027
Opposite the Cathedral is Lincoln Castle with its walls

Lincoln - 026
There used to be a wall around the city as in York but now only fragments exist like this one here called Newport Arch

Lincoln - 044
Inside the castle I felt the urge to climb up to where the flag was flying and to have a walk on the wall

Lincoln - 031
This is the sight from the wall towards the Cathedrale

Lincoln - 032
Walking on top of the wall now with the Tower on the right


Lincoln - 030
Inside the Castle grounds you find the old jail and a copy of the Magna Carta

Lincoln - 029
as well as this odd looking building which is the Lincoln Magistrates Office

Lincoln - 037
As I was takeing the lst picture I heard some odd flapping and thought:
"DUCK!!!" . . . . and so it was!!

Lincoln - 006
On my way down to the town centre now, just glancing back

Lincoln - 003
Nearly down now and getting more commercial all the time

Lincoln - 059
Lincoln has worked hard to transform the area around High Street and Waterside

Lincoln - 062
This is Waterside Shopping Centre looking towards High Street

Lincoln - 056
Walking towards Brayford Wharf along a small passage

Lincoln - 055
Brayford Wharf with its many bars on the right

erikpint
Did someone say "BARS"????

Lincoln - 048
Staggering back via High Street

Lincoln - 002
A final glance of the Cathedral and just in time to pick up my wife from work

If you ask me which city I preferred - York or Lincoln - I have to give York the edge, as it is flat and does not interfere with the walking after a few pints of beer!!

10 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Yay for me - this time I recognized the narrow boats!

You know, Mr. Unemployed, did it ever occur to you that you could earn some money as a freelance photographer, say for maybe a tourism board? When you take these strolls, I always feel as if I'm along with you and it makes me want to go visit wherever it was that you took the photos.

You might want to check into that, Erik. You never know...

Tammy said...

I just had to "un-lurk" and tell that these are amazing photos!

I think I'd go on more long walks if I lived in GB...

Tonya said...

beautiful photos once again :) You are making me want to venture out more and take some nice shots!!

Anonymous said...

One thing I've noticed about all these pictures you've been taking lately - is the absence of NEON. (signs)

And I LOVE the fact that it is missing. Hooray!

Kila said...

Oh my, that was certainly worth the walk up the hill. Great photos. I have an urge to buy airplane tickets...

little things said...

Are....are....are those people out and walking about?

You are so lucky to have access to these beautiful places!

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear very nice man. That's a beautiful town. I'll have to visit one day. As for the hills? Ahhh, bracing blighty air!

ChrisB said...

I have never visited but from your guided tour it seems a lovely city, these are stunning photos.

Anonymous said...

Ohh wow. How beautiful! My favorite is the duck, by far.

Well, that or the beer.

Come Back Brighter said...

Sometimes, living in the South East, I forget what hills are like...