Friday, April 13, 2007

Dunwich? Where the Hell is that??

We are back from our visit to Beccles in Suffolk and had a very nice and relaxing time indeed.
Hayseed Dixie was great fun to watch and listen to as usual but I think one of our gang took the preparation for the gig juuuuust a little too far.

DSCN0176
Nice one, Andy!!

The weather was kind as well, which always helps - especially when (as we did) you are undertaking a five mile round-trip through the beautiful Suffolk countryside.
We parked our car at Dunwich on the Suffolk coast, walked along the beach, past a bird sanctuary, along marsh land, into the obligatory pub, through the forest and over the heath back to the car.
Here are some pictures:

DSCN0181
The Gang on the beach
DSCN0186
Not a man-made thing in sight
DSCN0184
Old ruin which doubled up as gun shelter in the war
DSCN0191
Grasses taken from the ground to the sky
DSCN0193
This pub used to be a smugglers meeting place. Keith and I each managed to smuggle 2 pints of beer out in our bellies.
DSCN0195
Jan (left) showing Daniel where she is going to bury me in a shallow grave if I don't stop drinking beer at lunchtimes.
DSCN0196
Daniel (very small left) looking for places to bury Jan if she doesn't stop talking nonsense.
DSCN0180
Dunwich heath

Back in the kitchen I noticed this sign, drawn by little Rachel.
Couldn't resist blogging it!
DSCN0178

So, friends, remember!!! Don't sneeze on the food!!
Have a good weekend!

17 comments:

little things said...

What a great post...I enjoyed viewing pics of places I've never been, and may never go!
It seems you all do a lot of walking, which I envy.
No one walks in San Antonio!

Anonymous said...

Ah-choo. oops.

Anvilcloud said...

Eels Foot Inn: love British names for pubs etc.

Anonymous said...

love love love love LOVE the picture of the grass looking up.

if I ever come your way will you be my tour guide?

Anonymous said...

Oh shoot, I just sneezed on my dinner before I read this! I should have come by sooner.

Beautiful shots Erik! Looks a wee bit chilly for the beach. Tell me there was a campfire involved? Hot chocolate at least, right?

Pamela said...

You are making me so jealous with your little travels. I need to get one of those in sometime soon.

I love to post them.

the no sneeze rule reminded me of a post I did from a co-worker son Brayde r.u.l.e.s

Beccy said...

Looks like you all had a great time.

Molly said...

Those are the best rules; now, I am ready to cook. Your pictures are grand.

Angelina said...

When I saw the picture of the grasses I thought how wonderful it would be to lay down in them so that you could look up and watch the clouds change shape...but then I suddenly remembered one of my friends telling me how ticks love to live in grasses by the beach. Does England have a lot of ticks?

I'm more scared of ticks than most other bugs all put together.

As to the beers for lunch...I think that's the way to go, as long as you follow up dinner with a couple more.

That Chick Over There said...

What beautiful photos!

frannie said...

what a cute poster! I need one for my kitchen!

Kila said...

Great photos!

Nothing drives my DH bonkers more than when we sit down to eat and right away one of the boys coughs or sneezes all over everything. (As if he hasn't already picked up their germs.)

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear very nice man. Once again you make me really jealous with your lovely pictures! The ruined house looks cool. (Cool? Am I a teenager? I've just woken up, hence the useless adjective).

A Novelist said...

Great pictures! Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing. :)

ChrisB said...

You have given us a little glimpse into another part of England I've never seen. Beautiful photos - great name for a pub. The list is sooo cute!

Desert Songbird said...

So glad you had a wonderful trip. Love the photos, especially the grasses taken from the ground perspective.

tlawwife said...

Love your pictures. The grass one is fabulous.