Friday, March 16, 2007

The Boys are back in town!

Yesterday was the Annual General Meeting of our little Share Club which we lovingly called "The Leesons" after Nick Leeson who single handed brought down Barings Bank, England's oldest Investment Bank.

The Annual General Meeting usually takes place in London and follows the familiar pattern of "meeting in a pub for a drink - and another one - and another one - and . . well you get the picture . . . followed by a meal (usually Indian) and maybe some more drinks".

Alas, even though everybody had plenty of notice, most members of the Leeson’s gang showed themselves to be utter nappy-wearing slackers, making excuses and crying like girls as to why they couldn't possibly turn up.
For those who did show up, I think that we showed them up good and proper, having a good laugh, eat, drink and still do the club justice by actually coming up with the business stuff!



I can't believe how full I was after all that liquid and food and at the end of the evening my belly and I clambered into a taxi to get the train from Euston.
The taxi driver, who strangely resembled the love-child of Al-Fayed, the Harrods Superstore owner and Mike Tyson, the boxer (if that could work!), managed to hurtle me along Marylebone Road and Euston road in his shiny Mercedes, taking the under-path near Euston with such high speed that I turned around to see how close the Paparazzi were so I could yell “I am not Lady Di!!” at them before we would crash into some pillar in a "deja moo (haven't I seen this bullsh*t before)" sequence of events.
When we finally came to stop at Euston Station the driver asked me for £12!!! "Twelve Pounds??? Well, you'd better drive on then, since we are still some way off Milton-Keynes, which is where £12 should f*cking take me!!!"
Three things however convinced me to pay him after all:

  1. I was about 30 pounds over my ideal fighting weight

  2. He was morphing more into Mike Tyson rather than Al-Fayed

  3. He did get me to the station in such short time that if I would stop arguing now, I might just make the earlier train

I got myself a ticket from the automatic ticket machine with the slogan:
"In a hurry?? Try me!" written on it.
I was in a hurry and I was going to try it! After pressing various imaginary keys on the touch screen (my long I.T. education finally paying dividend) and swiping my credit card it did produce my ticket in no time!

My Virgin Train (you know, like the one that crashed off the rains in the Lake District) was waiting, ready to depart and I no sooner had hopped on, that we were on the move.

The temperature inside the train was nicely adjusted to the (always feeling cold) female passengers at a constant 1 Million Degrees Celsius but all the guys were sweating like bomb disposal experts with hiccups!!
The air was soon heavy with the smell of what can only be described as "old Sumo wrestler's jog straps", which is not what you want when you feel utterly bloated anyway.

But when I woke up this morning at 10 o'clock, had myself a toast and coffee and a short walk in the sunshine, all of yesterday's things are just good memories.

10 comments:

Beccy said...

Sounds like a good night Erik and how luxurious to stay in bed for a lie in!

Desert Songbird said...

You party animal, you! Good thing there wasn't any brawling. You were such a punk in your youth, but I'm thinking now? Not so much, huh?

Anonymous said...

I think that taxi driver saw a tipsy customer and decided to take advantage. Of course - anyone looking like Mike Tyson and I'm running the other direction.

Kila said...

Sounds like a fun time. Glad you made it home safe.

I think I told you my 4 yr old boy's name is the same as yours, just spelled differently. He spotted your name right away when your blog came up, and he asked, "Why is his name spelled wrong?!" LOL

Leann said...

sounds like you had a good time.glad you didnt die like di!!!I love the way you explanned the story.this will be short cause my grandson is staying over.so God bless and have a great weekend.

Pamela said...

When I come to visit you I want to go on that trip with you.

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear very nice man. Thanks to my recent trip through London, I actually know the places you're talking about. Except Milton Keynes...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good nite, you should know better than to get into a Taxi in London after having a few beers(£12! he saw you coming). Hope you are doing OK, and not getting too bored at home. Take Care. Zoe x

little things said...

I think I ran into that taxi driver in Rome years ago. I paid him too!
What a great story, very well written. I almost felt as if I were there with you!

Anonymous said...

Your details are f u n n y!

Love child.. snort