Sunday, March 11, 2007

funmonday

Beccy at Peppermint Tea has thrown down the gauntlet for this week's Fun Monday!
The challenge is to (and I quote):

"post a recipe that would inspire her to get into the kitchen to chop, cut, grate, boil, steam, roast, chill, freeze and eat, eat, eat."

Well, Beccy, get ready to feast your eyes, lick your fingers and drool all over the place!
And just for you . . . all my recipes are dead easy and quick to make, yet tasty, tasty, tasty!!
Here goes:

Starter - Roasted Asparagus with Feta

(3-4 servings - 30 minutes incl. prep time)

2 lbs fresh crisp asparagus
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon lemons, zest of
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt (to taste)
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
3-4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 lemon (juice of, no seeds)


Preheat oven to 400F.
Heat olive oil, minced garlic, lemon zest, oregano, and red pepper flakes in a small pan over low heat until garlic becomes golden and oil becomes fragrant; remove from heat and allow to cool.
Cut off a quarter of the thick end of the asparagus and discard ends.
Toss asparagus pieces with infused olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet (one with a side edge).
Season asparagus with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle asparagus with crumbled feta cheese.
Roast at 400F for 15 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and squeeze the lemons over the asparagus, being careful to catch the seeds.
Serve hot.

Main Course - Sour Cream Chicken Casserole

(4 servings - 50 min incl. prep time)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and cubed (I cheat and buy 'already cooked' chicken)
1 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (mushroom can be substituted)
25 Ritz or TUC crackers
1/2 cup butter, melted
salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Boil chicken breast until tender; drain and cube. (unless you bought 'already cooked' chicken)
Spread evenly over the bottom of a square casserole dish.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Mix sour cream and chicken soup in a separate bowl.
Spread the sour cream and soup mixture over the chicken in the casserole dish.
Crush the Ritz or TUC crackers and spread over top of the casserole.
Spoon melted butter on top over all.
Bake in a 350 degree oven until top is golden brown, approximately 20-30 minutes.

Baileys Yoghurt-Cream Dessert

(4 servings - 10 min prep time)

3/4 cup Greek yogurt
3/4 cup double cream (heavy cream)
3/8 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
1/2 ounce icing sugar
4 meringue nests
1/2 ounce grated chocolate (or a Flake chocolate bar, crumbled)
1/2 ounce cocoa powder (optional)


Whip the cream until very stiff.
Stir the Baileys into the yoghurt with the icing sugar (powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar), then fold in the whipped cream. Refrigerate until it's time to serve.
When ready to serve, put one meringue mest into each dessert dish, spoon in as much of the Baileys yoghurt-cream as seems prudent, sprinkle with chocolate, then dust with cocoa powder (using a sieve for neat, even coverage).
You will probably have more of the filling than you need, depending on the size of your meringue nests - but better too much than too little!

So, folks, what do you think of these??

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

enidd thinks she didn't have a very big dinner and she'd like to wrap herself round some of that. yum!

Beccy said...

I think I'm glad I had a big dinner because these recipes are very tempting. Will definitely be trying the casserole, with crackers on top my children will be in heaven! Dessert looks pretty damn tasty too!

Anonymous said...

What do I think?

I think I'm coming to your house for dinner. OMG - that dessert looks to die for....and I can't wait to do the Asparagus.

Peg said...

Well, I'm thinking that if you ever travel in New England with your family, you'll have to stop in at Chez Peggy--I'll get the groceries, and I'll lend you my kitchen. You cook, 'K?

It all sounds absolutely delectable!!

Pamela said...

heavens tamergatroid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That just looks wonderful.

(I didn't participate because I didn't have any raisins to put on my peanut butter toast- giggle)

But, I just have to hand it to you. That is an invitation to dinner (isn't it?)

Leann said...

yummy yummy.I put on 10 lds just reading your blog.looks good.I while have to print it and try it out.I just got home and I am tired so this will be short.God bless.

Anonymous said...

Just wish you lived closer, we would all be over for dinner. All three of those look delish, but I think I'll try the asparagus first.
Have been traveling, so not much time to visit. Missed hearing from you.

Steffi said...

Wow...that´s very delicious recipes!When we can come to your dinner?Thank you!

Anonymous said...

The asparagus looks wonderful!!! In fact, everything looks wonderful!! I'm such a drooler.

Anvilcloud said...

Looks good. I think I'd like to try the chicken casserole. Everything looks good, but I am most likely to make the chicken.

Woodlandmama said...

I love asparagus, so that's first on my list.

Sabrina said...

Yummy! Can't wait to try the asparagus! Thanks!

Amy W said...

The whole meal is amazing. I LOVE asparagus and feta, and anything chicken-y and sour cream-y is great.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Erik! It all looks, and sounds, delicious and satisfying.

Bethany said...

I am definitely trying these!

Anonymous said...

SHOW OFF! :)

Actually, I make a slight variation of the chicken casserole--we add a tablespoon or so of poppy seeds, adds a bit of color to the dish.

Asparagus is one of our favorite veggies; this dish looks like a VAST improvement on how I typically make it (steamed, tossed with garlic pepper and butter).

And that dessert....doesn't look too difficult but DOES look DELICIOUS! Just wish you lived next door, so you could just invite us over for supper ;).

little things said...

Why do I never log on on Mondays to get in on the fun!
And who said English food is bad? I am salivatin' over here...

~ej said...

the asparagus looks delicious and i don't even LIKE asparagus, chicken sounds yummy and i always wondered what greek yoghurt was for, now i KNOW!! :)

sallywrites said...

I'm hungry now!!!

Tonya said...

umm yummy.. I think I have to try that chicken!! Maybe this weekend :) We need a little change around here.. lol

Anonymous said...

I think I'd better print these out to keep, they sound and look scrumptious!

ChrisB said...

Like the sound of the chicken casserole will try it out on hubby- how about giving him a few lessons in the kitchen!!