Friday, June 09, 2006

Stab me!! Stab me now!!!

Only speaking for myself I can honestly say that if I had a £10-note for every useless or overblown meeting I have ever attended, I now would be almost as wealthy as the Sultan of Brunei.
My way of staying awake at these droning sessions is to take a fork with me and stabbing myself in the leg at opportune moments but my lovely sister-in-law has a much better and more amusing way of dealing with the problem at hand.
Here is her suggestion:

HOW TO STAY AWAKE IN MEETINGS:
Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars? What about those long and boring conference calls? Here's a way to change all of that.


1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar or conference call, prepare yourself by drawing a square. I find that 5" x 5" is a good size. Divide the card into columns - five across and five down. That will give you 25 one-inch blocks.

2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:
* Synergy
* Strategic fit
* Core competences
* Best practice
* Bottom line
* Revisit
* Expeditious
* To tell you the truth (or "the truth is")
* 24/7
* Out of the loop
* Benchmark
* Value-added
* Proactive
* Win-win
* Think outside the box
* Fast track
* Result-driven
* Empower (or empowerment)
* Knowledge base
* At the end of the day
* Touch base
* Mindset
* Client focus(ed)
* Paradigm
* Game plan
* Leverage


3. Tick off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.

4. Then you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, stand up and shout "BULLSH!T!"

Testimonials from satisfied "Bullshit Bingo" players:
"I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won." "My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically."
"It's a gas. Meetings will never be the same for me after my first win."
"The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box. The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed 'BULLSHIT! for the third time in two hours."


I have floated this suggestion at work and the unanimous verdict is to try it at the next 'Bla-Bla' session.
Any comments telling the firefly what your experiences with (and solutions to) pointless meetings are will be most appreciated.

1 comment:

Desert Songbird said...

I'm not longer a corporate maven, but this post made my laugh and think of all those dreadful meetings I was forced to endure while in the employ of a large shall-not-be-named corporation.

Thanks for the chuckle.